And now for something constructive

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

sarahs_quilt1

I finally finished a project today that I've been working on for weeks. Well, not literally weeks because I have just worked on it here and there in between other projects. But it definitely took awhile to go from start to finish. I haven't made a quilt in a long time so it was nice to get back into. This is for a friend of mine's daughter. I love getting to sew with pink!

I quilted it in the ditch. Boring, I know. But I didn't want to practice freehand on someone else's quilt just yet. The next one, I promise!

And the binding. OH THE BINDING. I swear, it took me longer to bind the damn thing than it did to baste and quilt combined. I did Heather Bailey's binding method for the first time. And I should mention that I am NOT good at following written directions. Not at all. I think I read and reread her instructions 200 times and scrutinized each illustration even more than that. And I still ended up having to pull out dozens of stitches and start over. It's quite a fun thing to do when you don't get more than ten minutes at a time before either of the babies are screaming. But! I did it and hopefully the next one will go much more smoothly now that the kinks are worked out.

I realize that I'm behind the times and this is the normal way to bind a quilt, but as I've mentioned before, I'm self-taught and generally just make up things as I go. I used to just make bias tape and bind my quilts with that. But no more! I'm cool like Heather Bailey now. Except that I didn't hand-stitch mine. I love the hand-stitched look so much more but I probably won't have the time or patience to do that for another few years. So machine-stitched it is.

I also finished this fab diaper wallet a few days ago for another friend. I love this tattoo fabric. Some day when I don't have a million other things to do, I want to make a bag out of it.

Blogged by Making A Modern Family at 11:13 AM  

8 comments:

Melban said...

Hanging the quilt on the tree was a great idea it looks great out in natural light. I love the way the bag turned out too you couldn't have cut the fabric any better to have it show the woman right there.

Tue Sep 25, 01:13:00 PM EDT

 
Jenni said...

Gorgeous work mama! I love the colors. I need to make one for Louise soon, but I'm horrible at finishing things. I start something, then put it away for years;) I finally got one made for my oldest dd on her 10th birthday, it only took me 10 years. lol, your doing great!

Hand binding is a breeze too, I can't do it by machine. That was actually the quickest part of the quilt. Don't be afraid to try it.

Tue Sep 25, 02:55:00 PM EDT

 
louann said...

That quilt looks beautiful!

Tue Sep 25, 10:36:00 PM EDT

 
Allison xoxo said...

that quilt is absolutely divine! It looks FABULOUS!!!!

Tue Sep 25, 11:37:00 PM EDT

 
jayna said...

Oh my goodness! I have a little drool coming out of my mouth now. That quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I need to learn how to do that!

Wed Sep 26, 01:31:00 AM EDT

 
DIXIECHICK said...

Oh, my word! That is a beautiful quilt...wished I could do things like that,,I can hardly sew on a button..Great job!
Dixiechick

Wed Sep 26, 02:16:00 PM EDT

 
Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous quilt. I love the look of quilts, but I can only dream of making one myself someday. I just don't have the skills...

Mon Oct 01, 05:28:00 PM EDT

 
Amanda said...

wow I need that quilt. seriously do you sell them???

Tue Oct 02, 01:15:00 PM EDT

 

Post a Comment